Photo

What's Your Favourite Book(S) Of All Time?

• Please log in to reply
77 replies to this topic

#53 Lea2975

Lea2975

linguist extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2884 posts
  • Chat Name:Lea2975
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:43 PM

I think Potter and Blyton's stuff came out somewhat before the 70s...

The Hobbit
The Hitchhiker's trilogy (obv)
Ninteen Eighty Four
The Day of the Triffids

I wanted to try the Hitchhikers books... but never got there... read 1984 in college for my german coursework!

You can make mistakes in life but it is how you deal with them that makes you a better person or a worse person.

#54 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:26 PM

I don't think I could pin down a single favourite, but the list would include:

Something Happened - Joseph Heller
The Blind Watchmaker - Richard Dawkins
Use of Weapons - Iain M Banks
The Name of the Rose - Umberto Eco
Breakfast of Champions - Kurt Vonnegut
Gloriana - Michael Moorcock
Titus Groan & Gormenghast - Mervyn Peake

#55 B4_UknowMe

B4_UknowMe

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMid-MO, USA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:05 AM

B4's Bookshelf of Favorite Fantastical Reads

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (in chronological order) : The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Last Battle[I read these to my youngest daughter, using different voices and theatrical inflection, and she kept track of all the action and characters throughout the whole series.]

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, and Mostly Harmless. [This was our next series; same thing for production value and retention.]

Anything Stephen King, though The Stand, Lisey's Story, and The Dark Tower series are favorites.

The Riverworld series by Philip José Farmer: To Your Scattered Bodies Go, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat. Check out some of his other works with discretion.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, his Robot series, and his Galactic Empire series.

Larry Niven's stories of "known space," such as the Ringworld series, and the "logical fantasy" titled The Magic Goes Away.

Anything by the great Ray Bradbury, especially The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I'd be remiss if I didn't list J.R.R. Tolkien's books: The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Recently was loaned Intensity, by Dean Koontz, and it is a must-read for those who want edge-of-your-seat suspense, with well-balanced protagonist and antagonist.
Watching the painter painting That bit there, it was an accident But he's so pleased It's the best mistake, he could make
-- An Architect's Dream, "Aerial", Kate Bush

#56 hated female

hated female

Getting there

• -Members
  • 168 posts
  • Locationsouth west

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

B4's Bookshelf of Favorite Fantastical Reads

The Chronicles of Narnia by C. S. Lewis (in chronological order) : The Magician's Nephew, The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe, The Horse and His Boy, Prince Caspian, The Voyage of the Dawn Treader, The Silver Chair, The Last Battle[I read these to my youngest daughter, using different voices and theatrical inflection, and she kept track of all the action and characters throughout the whole series.]

The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy series by Douglas Adams: The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, The Restaurant at the End of the Universe, Life, the Universe and Everything, So Long, and Thanks for All the Fish, and Mostly Harmless. [This was our next series; same thing for production value and retention.]

Anything Stephen King, though The Stand, Lisey's Story, and The Dark Tower series are favorites.

The Riverworld series by Philip José Farmer: To Your Scattered Bodies Go, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat, The Fabulous Riverboat. Check out some of his other works with discretion.

Isaac Asimov's Foundation series, his Robot series, and his Galactic Empire series.

Larry Niven's stories of "known space," such as the Ringworld series, and the "logical fantasy" titled The Magic Goes Away.

Anything by the great Ray Bradbury, especially The Martian Chronicles, The Illustrated Man, Dandelion Wine, and Something Wicked This Way Comes.

I'd be remiss if I didn't list J.R.R. Tolkien's books: The Hobbit, The Fellowship of the Ring, The Two Towers, and The Return of the King.

Recently was loaned Intensity, by Dean Koontz, and it is a must-read for those who want edge-of-your-seat suspense, with well-balanced protagonist and antagonist.

if only i cud understand u may be i will one day
<p>hello every one my names&nbsp;&nbsp;jess i have been on lycos&nbsp;&nbsp;chat 6 years i still like to call it that cos to&nbsp;&nbsp;me its still&nbsp;&nbsp;lycos&nbsp;&nbsp;love u hal pavelxxxxxxx</p>

#57 B4_UknowMe

B4_UknowMe

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMid-MO, USA

Posted 17 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

English is my second language, so I guess that means I can be a bit obtuse at times.
(transalation: engilsh isn ot me 1rst langag soo u mite b confussed by wot i sa y )

BTW, have you ever noticed you don't have to "quote" the entire text of a previous posting to respond to someone. After all, the posting is within easy reach (typically right above) the comments you wish to add. I'd recommend practicing with the Quote, cut'n'paste, and Delete key that is an integral part of this bulletin board system. Then just leave the little bits of text you want to specifically reiterate and make your comments directly below the quoted lines. A little expertise goes a long way in becoming a good conversationalist, both here on Noesis and in Real Life (RL).
:G:
B4ibuyuapairofscissors&ajarofmucilage

Oh, and another favorite book is Nineteen Eighty-Four (1984) by George Orwell. I was particularly intrigued by the concept of "historical revisionism" and the implementation of a nationwide language standard called Newspeak. We could learn a lot from this vision of how our future could be if we're not careful...
:D25:
B4werealizethatdatehascome&gonebutthefutureisstillrollingtowardus

Edited by c_vitamin_88, 19 October 2011 - 06:35 PM.
Merged to avoid triple posting.

Watching the painter painting That bit there, it was an accident But he's so pleased It's the best mistake, he could make
-- An Architect's Dream, "Aerial", Kate Bush

#58 Music-Princess

Music-Princess

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 112 posts
  • Locationwest Midlands - Coventry

Posted 10 November 2011 - 05:18 AM

The Twillight Series Specially Breaking Dawn. :D18:

Jacks / Music-Princess

Aka The Troublesome-One (name by lil.smuffette)

#59 bouncey_bouncey

bouncey_bouncey

Makes friends easily

• Chat Navigator
  • 565 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 10 November 2011 - 12:32 PM

Destined is now one of my frav books :D which is the new one in the series of books i read and well its still awesome :o

bouncey3rdtag_zps264b7837.gif

bounceybouncey.png

Bouncey_One.png

#60 lil_smurfette

lil_smurfette

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 532 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:01 AM

I,ve had them a while but im reading One of Dave peltzer's books at the mo... sure tugs on the heart strings

Posted Image

#61 Rev Jackruss

Rev Jackruss

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 12:05 AM

Hitchikers
Pride and Prejudice
Wuthering Heights
To Kill A Mockingbird
Dune

and thats about it, i know its slightly off topic but i like toast too

#62 bouncey_bouncey

bouncey_bouncey

Makes friends easily

• Chat Navigator
  • 565 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 22 May 2012 - 12:49 PM

I've started reading the Hunger Games books since i seen the films ( only have the first 2 and not the last one yet but still on the first book ) Good book to be fair. Also a new House of Night book is due in October :D However i used to read Terry Pratchetts Discworld books when i was younger and i've read Robert Jordon's Wheel of Time books also a few Raymond E Fiest ones too ( and a few World of Warcraft books by Christie Golden but only for the Lore )

bounceybouncey.png

Bouncey_One.png

#63 Crazy_Nutter

Crazy_Nutter

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 609 posts
  • LocationUK

Posted 14 July 2012 - 07:55 PM

im readin mr grey at the moment :P hehe

#64 ringo1970

ringo1970

Fake-Finder

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Locationgoogle/ yorkshire

Posted 18 July 2012 - 09:45 PM

on the second one now, arrr i cant put them down lol x " taylor car please " :D17:

Posted Image

#65 ringo1970

ringo1970

Fake-Finder

• Members
  • 778 posts
  • Locationgoogle/ yorkshire

Posted 24 July 2012 - 10:29 PM

All three done wow !!! best read for yonks .......... now on to new disk world

Posted Image

#66 bouncey_bouncey

bouncey_bouncey

Makes friends easily

• Chat Navigator
  • 565 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 31 July 2012 - 01:30 AM

Diskworld books are awesome Ringo :D i read alot of them when i was kid.. Wheel of time ones awesome too :D
My other half bought the Charliene Harris books earlier.. Mainly because i watch True Blood :D

bounceybouncey.png

Bouncey_One.png

#67 mrs_shyboy-b

mrs_shyboy-b

First Day

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 09:23 PM

of mice and men -john steinback
the fallen star- jessica soreenson
bared to you: a crossfire novel- sylvia day
a dark kiss of rapture- sylvia day

#68 babyhellllfire

babyhellllfire

Getting there

• -Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 27 August 2012 - 07:00 PM

this fifty shades book every ones on about im not a booker reader my self but ive got to say i found the first few pages of this book DISGUSTING HOW ANY ONE WUD GET PLEASURE OUT OF THAT I DONT NO it was boring filthy and not one bit intrestingi wouldnt want to go right threw the book my self first few pages was enough for me

#69 bouncey_bouncey

bouncey_bouncey

Makes friends easily

• Chat Navigator
  • 565 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 27 August 2012 - 10:30 PM

The new books i have is the True Blood books which is by Charlene Harris.. these are pretty awesome books :D we have the first 3 :D so far

bounceybouncey.png

Bouncey_One.png

#70 MaryG

MaryG

First Day

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • LocationUkraine

Posted 11 September 2012 - 07:49 PM

I like Paolo Coelho's books very much, I read almost all of them, but still my favorite is a book of a russian author Mikhail Bulgakov "Master and Margarett". Had anyone read it?

#71 Shadow_X

Shadow_X

It's just me!

• Forum Admin
  • 2132 posts
  • Chat Name:Shadow_X

Posted 12 September 2012 - 07:33 AM

I've not heard of it MaryG what's it about ?

Posted Image
Posted Image

1st Navigator UK Chat

Designed to annoy P.Sgt.Levers

#72 Alice

Alice

First Day

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUkraine, Donetsk

Posted 06 November 2012 - 02:38 PM

I have two of them:
1. "Master and Margaret" by Mikhail Bulgakov
2. "The Alchemist" by Paolo Coelho

"Master and Margaret" is about religion, love. It's about endless confrontation of God and Devil. It's fantastical novel, but for me it always was something much bigger than I can describe...

Edited by c_vitamin_88, 06 November 2012 - 05:12 PM.
Merged to avoid double posting.

#73 babyhellllfire

babyhellllfire

Getting there

• -Members
  • 234 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:00 PM

ive never read a book in my life  untill now    the  disaperanceof madeline    wot abook   realy opened my eyes     this poor child  still  missing  bought tears to my eyes

#74 bouncey_bouncey

bouncey_bouncey

Makes friends easily

• Chat Navigator
  • 565 posts
  • LocationYorkshire

Posted 15 February 2013 - 12:27 AM

I just recently read Catching Fire and Mockingjay also in the middle of reading Hidden which is part of the House of Night series.

bounceybouncey.png

Bouncey_One.png

#75 lauraallen

lauraallen

First Day

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2014 - 07:09 AM

I love to read mystery novels.

#76 yarickpa

yarickpa

First Day

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • Chat Name:Out of the Blue
  • LocationРебриха

Posted 13 July 2015 - 05:32 AM

In your opinion, what are the top 10 books of all time?

#77 Timleree

Timleree

First Day

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Chat Name:Looking to buy

Posted 11 December 2016 - 08:56 AM

I am a very strange person at this matter, since I read all sorts of books. I can read poetry, science-fiction and classics, all in one day. What do you love reading?

#78 Richardovellee

Richardovellee

First Day

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Chat Name:OVERDRAUGHT
  • LocationBridgetown

Posted 20 December 2016 - 06:16 AM

wow now ya got me interested too. is the whole book like that, a sort of cause and effect type thing? Yea Rick.....very much so. Also gives instances of everyday citizens s one of those books that you likely will want to read a section at a time and then just think on it before moving on. It is not light reading from the standpoint of the issues raised.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users