23 replies to this topic

#1 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

You wouldn't believe the route I had to take to get here. First, navigating almost the whole of the District line due to some sort of power failure, being bumped onto the Circle for almost three quarters of an hour, and finally discovering that actually I needed to be somewhere else completely.

At any rate, I'm standing here on the platform at Elephant and Castle, clutching my towel and gazing, dazzled at the array of places I can go.

Now obviously, due to the aforementioned power failure the whole Tube network is in Spoon, and the 1983 Blockade is in place, but you knew that, right?

Where to next? Direct me, fellow travellers!*

----------------
*And by this I mean - "Let the game begin!"
A Tube map can be found at http://www.tfl.gov.u...rd-tube-map.gif
U188069

#2 TigerBear

TigerBear

Makes friends easily

• Noesis
  • 751 posts

Posted 01 October 2011 - 12:16 PM

Oy! Good luck - just be grateful for the towel!

Aly

master-tigerbear.png

Lycos Chat Owner

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away.... and you have their shoes!

Always have fun guys!

4lpteo.jpg

#3 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:04 PM

*whispers* You need to name a tube stop so we can get this game of http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/h2g2/A3795816 Mornington Crescent going */whispers*

What was that? I couldn't quite hear you over the roar of this train. Bating the growl? Waiting for the trowel? Gate of the Owl? Owlgate?

Ah! Southgate!
U188069

#4 Merely a number

Merely a number

Getting there

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • LocationUK -5hrs = N.Am. EST

Posted 01 October 2011 - 06:11 PM

Ah! Southgate!

You can't get there from Elephant and Castle. You'll need to go somewhere else.
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;amp;nbsp;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;M a n&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

#5 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:18 PM

D'oh! *facepalm* I think I managed to be a little too cryptic. I'll try again.

Mornington Crescent is a game from a radio panel show that is a parody of other panel shows. It is a very silly game, where the object of the game is to get to the Tube station 'Mornington Crescent'. This is done by arbitrarily calling out names of Tube stations, at which point the other players tend to tut loudly, mumble about some rule that they've used or congratulate the player on their good play.

The rules are completely made up on the spot, strictly enforced <tongueincheek>, and it's coming up with ridiculous rules and bizarre routes that makes the game funny, rather than actually getting to Mornington Crescent, which sort of comes as an anti-climax.

Give a listen (although the first minute is just set up, the game doesn't get underway until about 0:56).
U188069

#6 Fizzymouse

Fizzymouse

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 332 posts
  • Locationthe sofa

Posted 01 October 2011 - 09:48 PM

Oh, I see. I've never played the game before.

I have however studied the rules and suggest Edgeware Road since Southgate is inadmissible on the first of a month (Hawking/Dawkins 1999).

:FR16:
<p>................. a little box in which I can keep my towel and my U number in case I get lost U1899683.</p>

#7 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:23 AM

You're so right! It was indeed the first of the month so I couldn't have gone there. I'll give Aly the benefit of the doubt and assume I mis-heard her over the roar of the train. Easily done.

Now I've arrived at Edgeware Road I think it's quite right and proper that, since it's now the second of the month I can safely navigate my way over to Notting Hill Gate. It's only two stops and even in Spoon I can safely avoid a repeat of the 1927 Cat-On-The-Line incident.
U188069

#8 Fizzymouse

Fizzymouse

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 332 posts
  • Locationthe sofa

Posted 02 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Yes, you could do that if it weren't a Sunday in Spoon (1952 Queen's-New-Going-To-Church-Hat bye-law) and the fact that you need to be in Pimlico.
<p>................. a little box in which I can keep my towel and my U number in case I get lost U1899683.</p>

#9 Argon0

Argon0

Must try harder

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 09:46 AM

Ah, in that case, hmmm ... I think I'll go to <erm> .. as its a Monday morning, I don't think you leave me any choice but to go south to Morden... You rascal...

#10 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 03 October 2011 - 12:05 PM

*applauds* You make it sound like it's a bad thing. As it is, it leaves me clear to nip over to:

Parson's Green.
U188069

#11 Dr Anthea

Dr Anthea

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNear Blackpool

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:15 PM

can I jump on and suggest sloane square

Dr Anthea - U203430

#12 Argon0

Argon0

Must try harder

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

Aha, in which case I shall make use of the diagonals opened up by that move to hop over to Monument.

#13 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 03 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

You can indeed. It's an interesting move - after all, you risk someone pulling a Triangular Inversion - but ultimately I think it's safe. After all, with the 1983 Blockade in place it's not that likely.

I'm going to go for a quick, safe journey to Bank.
U188069

#14 Dr Anthea

Dr Anthea

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNear Blackpool

Posted 03 October 2011 - 06:58 PM

quick trip to covent garden?

Dr Anthea - U203430

#15 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSouth Ockendon, Essex

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:27 PM

I hate travelling on the London Underground, because it so over crowded and the platforms are so very narrow and the winds coming through the tunnels always puts me off balance and I have a fear of falling onto the tracks. I prefer to the overground/ docklands light railway or use the buses whenever I am in London, it's longer but at least I am not having panic attacks.
Geplaatste afbeelding

H2g2 U198984 The Thinker - This is where I go every Friday on the North Stifford Healthy Living Walk through Davy Down riverside park

#16 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSouth Ockendon, Essex

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:33 PM

So if I have to use the underground I will keep on the district and central lines and try get my way back to Stratford or any other of the new East London stations. Convent Garden is a good place to get off but I don't think it is where the new convent garden market it is as it's an excellent place for shopping for food and they have good range of eateries.
Geplaatste afbeelding

H2g2 U198984 The Thinker - This is where I go every Friday on the North Stifford Healthy Living Walk through Davy Down riverside park

#17 Argon0

Argon0

Must try harder

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:16 PM

So where are we then? By use of the Berzerkikoff Non-Inversion paradigm, and the Wombles Underground-Overground overture I move to City Airport...

#18 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 06 October 2011 - 05:55 PM

Cricky, that's a bit of a slog. Can't fault your logic though, the Over-Under Overture is a classic move.

Thankfully, I know the Pushme-Pullyou Rondo which brings me out at platform 2 of Ealing Broadway.
U188069

#19 Argon0

Argon0

Must try harder

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 02:28 PM

Aha, that allows me to use the potteresque diversion via platform 2.5 and come out at ... 'ang on the tube doesn't go to Diagon Alley does it? <help> I'm lost...

#20 Dr Anthea

Dr Anthea

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNear Blackpool

Posted 07 October 2011 - 05:50 PM

Ruislip mannor, and just in time for tea ;)

Dr Anthea - U203430

#21 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 07 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Diagon Alley... *chuckle*

Ooh, put the kettle on, I've got time for a quick cuppa before I nip over to Barbican.
U188069

#22 Argon0

Argon0

Must try harder

• Members
  • 73 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:15 PM

From Barbican, via the Ken inversion, to Kensington (Olympia)

#23 pljones

pljones

First Day

• Members
  • 9 posts
  • LocationLondon, UK

Posted 12 October 2011 - 07:18 PM

I think they've brought forward introduction of the 2012 amendment, haven't they? (Or was it delayed?) But that means a quick jaunt down the DLR to Star Lane might avoid nid for a few turns.

#24 B4_UknowMe

B4_UknowMe

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationMid-MO, USA

Posted 13 October 2011 - 09:10 AM

:CARD:
Therefore, to reach Oxford Circus, we must invoke the Tommy Pinball Ricochet Rule of 1975, which allows us to double-back on the SouthWest leg of the DLR until we reach Canary Wharf, at which point the Footman's Other Shoe story is the perfect excuse to disembark momentarily to take advantage of the Step-Free Interchange onto the Jubilee line, heading West. Since this leg is notorious for being a rowdy "party barge" atmosphere, it's no wonder we miss all the sensible cross-over links between Canada Water and Westminster. Luckily, we come out of our stupor while approaching Bond Street (because it has something to do with the spy thriller "in-flight movie" Vip is playing on her portable Blu-ray) and we inadvertently stumble across Platform 42 to the all-too-short connecting run to Oxford Circus. Some of us get off there (because of a simple twist of fate), while others trundle farther East to make up for the brevity of the last interchange.
Eke homo; ergo elk.
:S2:

Edited by B4_UknowMe, 13 October 2011 - 09:11 AM.

Watching the painter painting That bit there, it was an accident But he's so pleased It's the best mistake, he could make
-- An Architect's Dream, "Aerial", Kate Bush

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users