35 replies to this topic

#1 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:26 PM

I can still remember how hard it was to get a babelfish.
And the times when I could not see anything, hear anything, smell anything, taste anything,fell anything and was not even sure who I was.
http://www.douglasad...ns/infocom.html
<p>  Shagbark Hickory  </p>

#2 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSouth Ockendon, Essex

Posted 04 October 2011 - 06:40 PM

Thanks for the link, before I start the game, I must have a nice cup of tea Posted Image. Would you like a cup of tea Posted ImageShagbark?
Posted Image

H2g2 U198984 The Thinker - This is where I go every Friday on the North Stifford Healthy Living Walk through Davy Down riverside park

#3 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:15 PM

Thank you, don't mind if I do.

#4 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:25 PM

Here is a nice cup of tea and a slice of pie. Posted Image Posted Image
Posted Image

H2g2 U198984 The Thinker - This is where I go every Friday on the North Stifford Healthy Living Walk through Davy Down riverside park

#5 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:31 PM

Yum, have you played the game before?

#6 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

I was solving this , off and on , for about a year before I finally got Marvin to open the hatch and the game was finished.

#7 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:45 PM

No, I have not played the game before and I am not getting on very well. I have managed to get out of bed but my other commands are not being recognised.
Posted Image

#8 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 07:53 PM

the idea in this game is to do exactly what the program expects, for example if you don't put on the gown, find the analgesic in the pocket and take the analgesic the room will continue to misbehave until the bulldozers knock down the house with you in it.A common phrase "You have died."

#9 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:04 PM

Thanks for the information, it's been a while since I have watched the TV series, I have got on DVD.
Posted Image

#10 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 04 October 2011 - 08:50 PM

There are differences between the plots. Another thing if you get through a few senarios Tell it to save.
Then when you mess up and get killed you can use restore which will keep you from having to go back to the beginning.
Here is the opening plot. He wakes up and has a hangover. Meanwhile outside bgulldozers are gathering to tear the place down to make a freeway bypass. Arthur thwarts this by lying in front of a bulldozer. While there Ford Prefect stops by to return his towel.
Ford decides to confide that the earth is going to be destroyed in twelve minutes.
but they need some beer before they can hitchhike on a UFO and avoid the cataclysm. Also they will need some peanuts and it is a good idea if Arthur gives a cheese sandwich to a stray dog. Useful commands examine ...take... wait....consult guide.

#11 ITIWBS

ITIWBS

Must try harder

• Members
  • 65 posts
  • LocationCoachella Valley, Riverside County, CA USA

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:57 AM

Was just watching the original BBC 6 part series, "The Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy" last week, available in their free listings at www.hulu.com. Hulu is not available outside the United states, unfortunately. :FR20: By the way, where did you find the motion smilies?
A domestic Rose. Next photo up, a landscape.

#12 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 05 October 2011 - 11:14 AM

It took me years, on and off, to solve the game. And only by copious use of the Help files in it as well. I got to the stage where I could get from bed onto the vogon ship in only a couple of minutes because I knew every command off by heart. Get up. Get gown. Put on gown. Open pocket. Eat analgesic. Look under bed... etc . etc. etc.

It's a fine and mighty and INCREDIBLY FRUSTRATING game. :D
U188069

#13 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:39 PM

I have tried a few times, the second time I got it right but I can't remember the command I put to switch the light on.
Posted Image

#14 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 03:40 PM

To motion smileys go to google images type either animated (and the type of image that you want) smiley or gif, ie
animated frown gif or animated frown smiley
Posted Image

#15 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

short commands work best. to turn on light say turn on light. To take gown say take gown. To put on gown say put on gown.

#16 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 05 October 2011 - 07:35 PM

Thanks for the help, got as far as going out of the house and lying in front of the bulldozer but tried several attempts to say that Ford Prefect has come to take me to the pub and escape on a Vogon ship.
Posted Image

#17 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 06 October 2011 - 12:24 AM

one thing this game teaches is patience. Ford will come when Ford will come. You just have to lay there and wait.

#18 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 06 October 2011 - 03:47 PM

Once you are in front of the bulldozers you can use the commands look, listen, examine,and wait, but I would not stand up until Ford works out a deal with the man in charge of the bulldozers.

#19 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 06 October 2011 - 06:32 PM

Thanks for the advice, when I go out of my house, every time I put lie down the next message I get is that I have expired.
Posted Image

#20 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 01:25 AM

I hope you weren't lying on the front porch. You must Go South from the porch. and rather than say lie down try

"Lie in front of bulldozer" About two turns later the bulldozer stops. Mr. Prosser in incoherent with rage for you interfering and along comes Ford Prefect.

#21 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 07 October 2011 - 04:37 PM

maybe I will go play the game awhile. catch you in hyperspace.

#22 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts

Posted 07 October 2011 - 10:36 PM

I have found this link http://www.eristic.n...nfocom/hhg.html but does not say what I do after meeting Ford Prefect and given my towel as any commands concerning walking away and getting up is not understand and if I type get up I always get a message telling me that I have expired.
Posted Image

#23 Merely a number

Merely a number

Getting there

• Members
  • 192 posts
  • LocationUK -5hrs = N.Am. EST

Posted 08 October 2011 - 06:42 AM

Whatever you do don't take the towel when first offered! Ask him instead about your home and then wait for him to use his powers on Prosser.
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;&amp;amp;nbsp;&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;M a n&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

#24 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:26 PM

I think asking about your home is built into the program.
If when Ford offers the towel you type wait Ford will make the decision to talk down at the pub.
don't get up, type wait. Ford will go talk to Prosser. After they come to an agreement then Type
Get up. and next command you type is: Go to Pub.

#25 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:37 PM

I notice on your link there it says to take the mail with you.
This is one of the subtler points in the game. You think you are finally making progress when all of a sudden you need something that you didn't bring like mail, or a toothbrush and have to start over ( or go back to a restore point) to get them.
the mail is one of these items. On the vogon ship you will need a babel fish to hear what is being said. The mail will be needed to get one( I'm not telling you how to use it).

#26 shagbark

shagbark

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 428 posts
  • LocationLansing,MI,USA

Posted 08 October 2011 - 12:39 PM

And after you get to the pub this is a good time to say:save and name the file.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users