20 replies to this topic

#1 swl

swl

Must try harder

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationStirling

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:57 PM

Retail guru Mary Portas has dismissed the women in David Cameron's cabinet as a poorly-dressed "ugly bunch".

In an interview with Heat magazine, Ms Portas, one of the prime minister's high profile advisers, said she could not bear to look at them.

"They do dress up for my meetings, but I just want to go: 'Please no, not that necklace, not that skirt'," she said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...litics-15254485

Do your colleagues lack sartorial style? Do you sometimes feel like screaming in exasperation when they don't colour-coordinate properly?

#2 Magwitch

Magwitch

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 728 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 01:59 PM

I once had a boss who didn't wash her hair, clean her teeth or even think about wearing deodorant. Does that count?

She was (and still is) butt-ugly as well.
<p>&lt;br /&gt;</p>

#3 swl

swl

Must try harder

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationStirling

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:35 PM

Yeah, that's the kind of thing.

And, (ahem), the title should read
Do You Bump Into Uglies At Work?

<blush>

#4 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

... so close I've got butterflies in my tummy

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:45 PM

You can edit that, swl. If you go to the top post, click edit, click more reply options or use full editor or whatever the turbo-with-stripes is called, and then you can change the title of the post. You have that power.....
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#5 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

... so close I've got butterflies in my tummy

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 11 October 2011 - 03:46 PM

I don't know why I told you that. I rather like the current title.
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#6 Quotes Elderberry

Quotes Elderberry

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:18 PM

I get very bored of seeing high-powered politicians dressing in conventional 'respectable' clothes, which are inevitably suits. I realise there are good reasons for dressing this way, but it looks so tediously conformist. Until recently, there would be a stark contrast to be had between Western leaders and overseas politicians, especially African leaders, who would often wear colourful, flamboyant outfits. Alas, a recent photo of them all showed that almost all of them now also taken to dressing in suits, apart from Gaddafi. It's regrettable that the only one who chose to dress a bit differently is a mass-murdering psychopath, it's hardly a good advert for non-conformist power-dressing.

#7 parrferris

parrferris

Fidget

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:35 PM

At my place of work, I'm afraid that I'm probably the scruffy one. Unfortunately I'm one of those people who could be immaculately coiffed, dressed in brand new Saville Row threads then placed in an empty locked room for five minutes, and I'd come out looking as rumpled as an escaped convict who'd slept in a hedge for a fortnight. No amount of care seems to change this.

I'm also as ugly as sin... Posted Image
Where's the paracetamol?

#8 Rev Jackruss

Rev Jackruss

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 04:59 PM

yeah bump an ugly sounds so cool!

"Ok ugly prepare to be bumped"

"EEEP!"

#9 Willem

Willem

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 28 posts
  • LocationPolokwane, South Africa

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:06 PM

Scruffiness is part of my artistic image ...

#10 parrferris

parrferris

Fidget

• Members
  • 32 posts
  • LocationDevon

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:15 PM

Anyway, doesn't 'bumping uglies' usually mean kissing?

That sort of thing should really be avoided at work (take it from me...)
Where's the paracetamol?

#11 kelli

kelli

First Day

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 09:19 AM

I think it usually means something rather more...ahem...than kissing, and I would suggest that this thread title is entirely as intended :-)

I worked for a management consultancy for a while and we had Mary Spillane (who started Color Me Beautiful) come in to tell us how to dress for work - she lost the room when she told us that we should be spending a quarter of our monthly income on our appearance.

#12 Quotes Elderberry

Quotes Elderberry

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:31 AM

I she lost the room when she told us that we should be spending a quarter of our monthly income on our appearance.

Did she give a reason?

#13 Nosebagbadger

Nosebagbadger

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 267 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:36 AM

Must say i misread that title (or perhaps read correctly), and so was disappointed by the conversation topic ;)
<p>&lt;p&gt;&lt;a class=&quot;bbc_url&quot; href=&quot;http://www.bbc.co.uk.../U14077177&#34; rel=&quot;nofollow external&quot; title=&quot;External link&quot;&gt;http://www.bbc.co.uk...#60;/p&#62;</p>

#14 TRiG

TRiG

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:05 PM

I'm glad to say I don't have that type of work.

TRiG.
<p>DON'T PANIC. U612575.</p>

#15 kelli

kelli

First Day

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 01:23 PM

Did she give a reason?

Not exactly - the implication was that we should look ultra polished at all times, possibly so that the clients paying through the nose for our services could feel that we were somehow super-human and therefore worth all that money.

Edited to add: as opposed to what we suspected the clients usually thought which was "we're paying them too much money if they can afford suits like that".

Edited by kelli, 12 October 2011 - 01:24 PM.

#16 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:27 PM

I dress well enough within my means*... My office however contains an awful lot of button down collars, short-sleeved shirts worn with ties, slip on shoes and other ghastly faux pas that, while quite within the dress code, just make the wearer look like he gets his fashion tips from Homer Simpson.

*If I had more money I'd dress a lot better.
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#17 Dr Anthea

Dr Anthea

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNear Blackpool

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:17 PM

I would dress better if my job called for it,
thankfully it doesn't indeed if I wished i could work in my pyjamas but i wouldn't want to get them dirty

Dr Anthea - U203430

#18 Malabarista

Malabarista

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 11:16 PM

So glad I don't work in a place with a uniform anymore; makes avoiding doing the laundry so much easier! And those shirts were terribly unflattering anyway.

A few years ago, I decided to give up my slobby t-shirts and buy a few nice blouses. They spend most of their time in the wardrobe. The t-shirts, on the other hand...

So I suppose I'd be on the receiving end of those talks.

#19 pal

pal

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

Ya all knicked!

knick

knick

knick

For ugly phobia

Did you notice Russians don't wear ties?

No

Neither did I :D15:

#20 kelli

kelli

First Day

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:23 PM

Did you notice Russians don't wear ties?

Well I *have* been staring at Artem a lot. I could stare some more in order to research this question fully.

#21 pal

pal

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:34 PM

Yes, I will keep looking and ask, is he Russian. Good thinking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users