• This topic is locked This topic is locked
38 replies to this topic

#27 Nosebagbadger

Nosebagbadger

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 267 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:02 PM

Telephone advertising is very entertaining, i wish my family got more of it - much of this advertising is "we have found a tax loophole etc etc"

Annoyingly for them my dad came top in the year for the British tax training (thankfully he didn't then go and do tax, he just pays it), and he enjoys listing the laws that they are breaking, the things that they miss out, and where they can hire a decent lawyer... thirty minutes on the guy breaks off the phone screaming

:D
<p>&lt;p&gt;&lt;a class=&quot;bbc_url&quot; href=&quot;http://www.bbc.co.uk.../U14077177&#34; rel=&quot;nofollow external&quot; title=&quot;External link&quot;&gt;http://www.bbc.co.uk...#60;/p&#62;</p>

#28 Lea2975

Lea2975

linguist extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2884 posts
  • Chat Name:Lea2975
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

We've got into the habit with cold callers to say "sorry we don't want and never do want your products that you are selling so please remove our number from your database" and hang up :D

You can make mistakes in life but it is how you deal with them that makes you a better person or a worse person.

#29 swl

swl

Must try harder

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationStirling

Posted 13 October 2011 - 07:56 PM

We get plagued by these. Given that we rarely if ever use the landline, if someone starts an advertising spiel I just put the handset down beside the phone and let them get on with it. It's their dime after all.

#30 minichessemouse

minichessemouse

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 376 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

vodaphone, vodaphone and something about landline cordless handsets.

Needless to say I have blogged about the awful situation Vodaphone put me in a few months ago, and S and I were looking for a cheap (very very cheap) landline phone last week. Mind i've just started using safari as my browser as firefox started playing silly buggers about a week ago.

mini<mouse>

#31 swl

swl

Must try harder

• Members
  • 79 posts
  • LocationStirling

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:58 PM

No, but I do have a notoriously difficult-to-find IP.

It has been said right enough.

#32 Edward the Bonobo

Edward the Bonobo

Must try harder

• Members
  • 86 posts
  • LocationSpace.

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:42 AM

Cold callers...we used to get plagued by them. Now...I'm sure we've all heard of the Telephone Preference Service. But you know what? It actually works! We registered a few months ago and they stopped almost instantly. Who knew? No more puddles of bathwater dripping through the hall for us!

(btw - I like being able to be able to hyperlink text)

Ook!

#33 clzoomer- chuffed

clzoomer- chuffed

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 19 posts
  • LocationNorth Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Currently I have ads for a Canadian bank, a European flat rental company and a flight booking company. It read my mind! I need a low interest loan for a vacation in Europe!

Amazing.

zoomer hootooed noesis style

#34 Haragai - U14769281

Haragai - U14769281

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 480 posts
  • LocationThe Netherlands

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:00 PM

I turned ABP off for Noesis. I think they've earned it.
:C:
On extended leave from h2g2 (still)

#35 Ivan the Terribly Average

Ivan the Terribly Average

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 40 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:13 PM

On this site I get a lot of ads for American (hetero) dating services and American charities. Not very clever ads to show a gay bloke in Australia.

#36 RadoxTheGreen

RadoxTheGreen

Needs to talk more

• H2G2
  • 130 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:14 PM

I don't get to see any of the ads on this site. Well, I do if I click the play button that appears where the ad would be. I'm using Opera 11.51

#37 TRiG

TRiG

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:01 PM

I've never bothered with AdBlock. I probably would if I was paying for download by the bit. Why download stuff I don't want to see? But I'm on broadband, so .... I should, though, probably reinstall NoScript.

TRiG.
<p>DON'T PANIC. U612575.</p>

#38 Foxglove911

Foxglove911

Getting there

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Chat Name:Foxglove911

Posted 20 January 2012 - 07:05 AM

Don't quote me if I'm wrong as I don't know 100% if they are, but I believe the adverts are run by google. So it would take into consideration cookies or whatever from them.
The above post may contain comments of humour, sarcasm or personal opinion, These comments do not necessarily reflect the views of the reader or their affiliates.
Reader discretion is advised.

#39 Carei

Carei

First Day

• Members
  • 6 posts
  • Chat Name:Scorpion

Posted 02 July 2015 - 09:00 PM

This site must be giving three random mumbers to every member and telling them to be his/her lucky number, how can a site know about mine lucky number?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users