31 replies to this topic

#1 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPeckham, London, England

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:42 AM

Maybe because it's *us* camped here..it really hits home.

Why on earth do we need to know precisely how many people are online? Guests, annnonymous or members on each thread? Who gives a toss?

Plus how many people look at your ps and who?

In real life no-one gives you stats like this nonsense.

It's anti community and trust.

It's bloody stupid.

I hope it *never* comes to noohootoo.

#2 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

... so close I've got butterflies in my tummy

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:55 AM

I quite like it. What's interesting, is your post makes me wonder why.

It can feel quite friendly seeing who else is reading something at the same time you are; a couple of times Z and I have both been reading the same page at the same time, for example. But I appreciate that's a particular circumstance. It's also been nice to know I've not shouted into a void, if no-one replies, I've found that very reassuring when I've posted something important no-one's replied to.
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#3 sprout

sprout

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 16 posts
  • LocationBrussels, Belgium

Posted 14 October 2011 - 06:40 AM

It's funny for lurkers, I suppose.

There are threads I like to read, but not so much post on, and this is now visible. But I don't think it matters - especially not in this reduced format where everything is all in one pot. And you can turn it off if you really care.

sprout

#4 Lanzababy

Lanzababy

h2g2 Guide Editor

• H2G2
  • 2088 posts
  • LocationIslas Canarias, España and UK

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:56 AM

I like it too. It's a different way of seeing who's online - which I miss on h2g2. I find it quite reassuring in the dead of night to see a familiar 'face' is reading the same thread as me.
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Why do I keep thinking up difficult questions?&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

#5 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 14 October 2011 - 09:57 AM

*waves to Lanzababy*
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#6 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:03 AM

I'm not so interested in post stats (although it can be handy to see if something you've posted has been read by anyone), but I would be interested in stats for the Edited Guide and The Post.
Given the hits on the Post's temporary blog they get plenty of readers, but so few people comment on the entries in there that authors could be forgiven for thinking nobody cares, which I don't think is true at all.

It depends on your motivation - sometimes I write just because I want to write. But if I'm writing for something, like the Post, it's because I want to share it. Knowing it's been read makes me feel like I achieved the goal of sharing.
U188069

#7 Trillian's Child

Trillian's Child

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 43 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:29 AM

I think it's just a fact of internet life. I haven't found out yet how to tell if anyone's read my post.

The "Next Unread Topic" button is really useful!
<p>In the other universe, I am U154942</p>

#8 Rev Nick

Rev Nick

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

Saw this on the right-hand-side-bar ... And hadn't noticed that "who's on this thread" bit. Nawwww, not gonna make any difference, I'll be off of here as and when the main site returns.
Yust a guy, ya know?

#9 psychocandy

psychocandy

Top of the class

• Noesis
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:06 AM

Well, you could always see a list of who was online at h2g2, I can't say I have a preference as to how that info is conveyed or displayed. I do think the ability to see who has been reading (or lurking) your PS could prove useful for a variety of reasons, including that feeling of not shouting into a void that Lanza mentions.

#10 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 11:37 AM

Waves to everyone..

Well if I visit someone's ps and then I see it displayed..I think, well that's the last time I'll do that whilst online.

And even here if I go to a thread..it will immediately say that I'm there as a guest. So again I think well I'm not going there again.

Why the hell do we need that absolute of stats?

In real life as an artist I often don't have a clue who has looked at some work..(I used to show in galleries ;-) ..not much of late)..but then suddenly you get an email or someone you know mentions some work you did...that feels real.

I mean what the hell?...should I have some camera set up with some sort of counting device..to tell me how many people looked at my art?

Should I walk around with a counting device that calculates how many people looked at me or spoke to me?

It's anti community and 'relating' this idea of measuring such things.

#11 Rev Nick

Rev Nick

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:25 PM

I have posted to this site perhaps 18 times now, and my 'profie' shows that my info has been viewed atleast 315 times. And a few of the most recent 5 are expected 'guardian angels'. They follow me everywhere

I see life on the internet as having three options:

- you go where and how you will, and if people track or lurk you, best of fun and pleasures to them

- if no one does, well whooo and hooo, no loss and no gain

- if you are going to let haunters, stalkers and (common def's of trolls of what-ever level of 'importance') limit you, then you might as well just disconnect your internet and hide in a cavern somewhere. If the new h2g2 could eventually show WHO visits which PS's in a day, I think a few folks might suddenly become a little more meek.

Just my two-pence. On h2g2, I have one account, I am seen where I am, and folks know that I used the INFO page to know what is fresh, maybe interesting. There is not one person there that I find interesting enough to lurk or track, visiiting PS's is boring. But hey, I'm sure many will believe otherwise. Fables last long and long.
Yust a guy, ya know?

#12 deborahb342

deborahb342

First Day

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCannock

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:36 PM

When I first viewed someone's profile on here I was horrified to realise I'd left a calling card. I just like to get an idea of who's "talking", but it made me feel like a stalker. And since then I haven't looked at anyone else, which is just ridiculous.

I have 529 profile views but only one named person is showing, which leads me to assume everyone else who looks at my profile does so not logged in. Would that be right? Is that the accepted way of doing it - logging off then having a look? Cos actually, that seems more like stalking than showing a natural interest.

Maybe I'll just go and have a look at loads of profiles now.

Deb Posted Image

#13 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:43 PM

How do I see who's been looking at me?

*preens hair while she waits for an answer*

#14 psychocandy

psychocandy

Top of the class

• Noesis
  • 1533 posts
  • LocationChicago, IL

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:47 PM

I've visited only a handful of profiles here- a few people I already know well on h2g2 and wanted to see which threads they're posting in so I could join in- and a couple of people who'd visited mine and I didn't recognize... wanted to see if they were h2g2 folks under different names, or potential new friends.

I wonder if a lot of the "not logged in" folks are h2g2ers who didn't register with Noesis, but since h2g2's been "offline" for several days now, are lurking to have a look around and see what their friends are up to?

IMO showing "who visited my PS" stats isn't going to discourage stalking- those who want to stalk undetected will probably begin logging out to do it.

#15 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

I've got no idea how many people have visited my profile and I'm not sure I care enough to go and look. If someone wishes to stalk me I'm not going to be bothered unless it becomes a problem and then I'll use official channels to deal with it. <shrug>
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#16 Lanzababy

Lanzababy

h2g2 Guide Editor

• H2G2
  • 2088 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:06 PM

I accidentally keep clicking onto people's profiles instead of going to the last post on a thread, as in some views the person posting it is above the actual link to the thread, and the other way around in other places. ie forum/subforums/ topics

So, I may be visiting you on purpose - but mainly it's because my fingers have clicked in the wrong place. Sorry folks! You can disable the link that tells you who your recent visitors have been, if you like.
<p>&lt;p&gt;&amp;lt;p&amp;gt;Why do I keep thinking up difficult questions?&amp;lt;/p&amp;gt;&lt;/p&gt;</p>

#17 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:18 PM

Lanza - thank BoB it's not just me. It drives me crackers, especially when I'm at work and each page takes an absolute age to load. At home it's not such a big deal but it's still irritating when I go to a profile instead of a convo.

[EDIT - I've just realised that's because the link to the most recent post is greyed out, and the person's name is in black. No wonder I get confused!]
U188069

#18 deborahb342

deborahb342

First Day

• Members
  • 10 posts
  • LocationCannock

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:32 PM

If someone wishes to stalk me I'm not going to be bothered unless it becomes a problem and then I'll use official channels to deal with it. <shrug>

But would you class it as stalking if someone had visited your profile? Not just natural curiosity? It's nice to build up a mental image of the people you encounter on here (I think Effers already mentioned that) and looking at a person's profile tops up the image you build up reading what they've written. That's why I would look at a profile.

As an aside, I love that you can go back and read various posts whilst replying, it makes life so much easier.

Deb Posted Image

#19 Lanzababy

Lanzababy

h2g2 Guide Editor

• H2G2
  • 2088 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 02:49 PM

Not at all - it's like having visitors - everyone is welcome to knock on my door. The profile thing tells you whether you are online as well. If I didn't want you to know anything about me, I would have an avatar rather than a photo and remove any personal information completely - but to be honest, I am happy for anyone to see my profile. I don't have any issues with profiles here at all.

#20 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 03:07 PM

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that all people looking at someone's profile were stalkers, simply that I would not let myself be bothered by any perceived stalking unless it were obviously a problem (e.g. being bombarded with scary/crazy messages). I don't have a problem with being 'followed' just as long as there's no touching. ;)
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#21 Rev Jackruss

Rev Jackruss

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 04:10 PM

just can't wait till the hootoo is back! i'm feeling lost tonight! really lost

#22 lil - ACE - Auntie Giggles

lil - ACE - Auntie Giggles

Top of the class

• -Members
  • 1559 posts
  • LocationChester, UK

Posted 14 October 2011 - 05:38 PM

It's amazing how often I've clicked onto the name instead of the title when reading the latest topics listing and I'm sorry if this makes some people insecure.

Hi RJR,

Wassup, hunny?

lil x
Do not argue with an idiot. He will drag you down to his level and beat you with experience.

Find me in hootoo at: U551837

#23 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:40 PM

Well I just can't relate to this idea of measuring such things..I find it bizarre as I said..compared to real life.

But I'm realising more and more that online relating and community is just so different from that..and seeks to emphasise that difference.

And I regularly see 'stalkers' talked about. Yes we know they are there..and most of us see the patterns of posting behaviour that indicates it. But they constitute about the same tiny minority as real life types of that kind.

I don't want to set the structure of a site to deter such people. The community gets to know these things.

I just hate it that when I look at someone's ps that is immediately is shown. And all this stuff about how many people are looking at a thread...guests or whatever.

For the life of me I just don't understand why anyone would be the slightest bit interested in knowing such things..but then I'm realising more and more how profoundly ungeeky I am.

#24 Rev Jackruss

Rev Jackruss

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

can't put me finger on it!

#25 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 14 October 2011 - 08:56 PM

Yes that's just the kind of thing I mean.

#26 Ancient Brit

Ancient Brit

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • LocationNorth Lincolnshire

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:12 AM

Effers asks < Why on earth do we need to know precisely how many people are online?
Guests, annnonymous or members on each thread? Who gives a toss? >

You don't need to know, but 'someone' or 'something' does in order for this virtual world to function and exist.
At this very moment those who know are trying to tell that 'something' what it needs to know in order for us to set up an identity and move around freely.
Just as in the real world so much happens that we do not know about.
Who gives a toss what 'you' want ? . 'The system' needs to know. Just how much it needs to know is another issue. :G11:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users