• This topic is locked This topic is locked
20 replies to this topic

#1 kea

kea

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:55 AM

Will they be getting ~Censored~ at home (esp the captain)?

The aftermatch commentary here is giving France a hammering ('the better team lost'), but hard to tell what that means as the commentators were either kiwis or aussies ;-)

#2 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPeckham, London, England

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:47 AM

Who cares about that sht.

The biggie is tomorrow..and whether Kiwis will choke yet again..as in so many previous World Cups.

#3 Sho

Sho

Must try harder

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:40 PM

Lots of people care about that "~Censored~"
Everyone here is of the opinion that a sending off was wrong - it was clearly a penalty and a yellow card but a sending off was unwarranted

I think the Welsh team can hold their heads up high - if that kick had gone over, it would have been fantastic but from such a distance it was amazing it went as far as it did.

I'll be supporting Les Bleus next week...

#4 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 12:55 PM

Yeah well that's why sport is so great. It reflects life..which is frequently profoundly unfair. You just have to take it..and bide your time.

But honestly I'm only interested in tomorrow's match. The All Blacks will have the advantage of the ref more than likely being a bit of a homer..they always are in the intensity of the cauldron. When England won it against the Aussies in their back yard..it was despite the South African ref..at least in the pub in Waterloo where I watched it was the consensus of opinion.

I'll be supporting the Aussies tomorrow...first time ever.

#5 kea

kea

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:17 PM

So it's the ref getting the ~Censored~ then? There was a lot of postitive comment here about the Welsh after the game.

#6 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:32 PM

The Welsh like the Scots..perenial plucky losers..it was all the ref's fault.

When we lose someone often gets sacked and there's no-one to blame but our useless bunch of over paid losers who aren't proud enough to wear the jersey..

I can't believe any Kiwi rugby fan gives a flying **** about that match. It's all about tomorrow.

Go Aussie ;-)

#7 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:01 PM

I'm not speaking directly here.

But I was quite dismissive of the OP. I couldn't really comprehend the question. I forget that people with no familiarity with sports culture are going to ask things that I don't really know what they are asking.

And I was just feeling quite irritable. No excuse though.

Plus I can get totally confused by things I don't understand the culture of..like bureacracy..or what I call stuff to do with all that that makes my head spin...so I hardly know what to ask.

I'm not meaning 'bureacracy as a negative.but as a description.

But yes I could have posted much less thoughtlessly for someone who knows almost nothing about sport.

#8 Rod

Rod

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:17 PM

I watched only bits of it from time to time - thought Wales had the edge mostly, but then I'm biassed...

ha!
So much for Wales vs Kiwis then. Another idle dream gone phooey
, , , Abandon hype all ye who entry here . . .

#9 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

Well it could be an Australia/France final?

I have to say I'm hugely looking forward to the match tomorrow..it's right up there as something really special. Home turf for the Kiwis against the old enemy in sport. All those years of hurt of choking to haunt them. The Aussies are going to be so up for it. It could be quite explosive.

I like these really legendary encounters..it'll go down in sporting history what ever happens.

That's what I was meaning about today's match. It simply can't compare to the sheer importance in history of Rugby of tomorrow's match. Sport is a religion in Australia..and Rugby in NZ.

I'm not sure who I'm supporting now :)))

#10 Rod

Rod

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

That's what I was meaning about today's match. It simply can't compare to the sheer importance in history of Rugby of tomorrow's match. Sport is a religion in Australia..and Rugby in NZ.

Come off it, Effers,
Sport - Rugby - iconic only in Oz&Nz?
Phooey I say and again I say phooey.

Wales, South Africa ... Argentina ... hell, at least half the initial turnout - very much including the smaller nations who knew they didn't have a hope. But still they came.

#11 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:23 PM

You're misunderstanding me. I didn't say it was only iconic in oz and NZ did I?

But yes I do think this momentous going on NZ and Oz people I've come across here in London and when I was in Australia. And certainly the Maori bloke I got friends with, who was an utter fanatic couldn't emphasize enough to me the cultural importance of it..and the fact that the Haka is used. He certainly spoke of it nearly in religious terms. And also the importance because NZ really should have won several world cups by now..not just the first one. They are the best consistently.

Obviously Rugby has the same cultural significance for Afrikaans and the Welsh

I really don't understand your response to what I wrote.

I was just talking about the importance for Australia and New Zealand..and how such a match is hugely significant culturally and in rugby history..especially for New Zealanders.

Actually for me its really nice to be so focussed on something Antipodean. Usually we're all so northern hemisphere centric here. But I had no interest in the Wales/France match..

Actually I think I'm rooting for the All Blacks now. That Maori guy would never forgive me otherwise I think.

#12 kea

kea

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:54 PM

Posted Image

http://media.nzherald.co.nz/webcontent/image/gif/201142/cartoongif.gif

#13 kea

kea

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:56 PM

For context:

http://www.stuff.co....mental-disaster

#14 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:22 PM

My opinion is that it is perfectly possible to be very upset about the oil spill. It has been widely reported here. I am upset. *And also* very excited about the rugby match. And I think its brilliant for NZ to get this high profile exposure in the UK..even if it be rugby.

So recently it's been

Earthquake
Mining disaster
Oil spill
Rugby World Cup

It's good for people not to entirely associate NZ with disaster.

#15 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:08 PM

Also to anyone who happens to read this.

Yes I'm a sports fanatic. It probably saved me when younger from going off the rails through playing. I was immersed in a sports culture from my father from a young age. That's one small part. Like I say its perfectly possible to get right into the rugby and also get right into concern for other issues. My best friend in real life went to the City of London occupation today..she's an artist and just made a brilliant piece of work that will play through headphones on the Tate boat that takes people from Tate Britain to Tate Modern. BP are massive sponsors of these cultural icons. She played the piece to me yesterday. Its a kind of collage of songs and speaking..women children and men..all to do with what BP do, but in a fun creative way.

It lasts about 20 minutes..which is how long it takes the boat to get to Tate Modern. Other artists have made similar stuff for people to walk around the two galleries to listen to on headphones.

The Tate are really angry because it exposes the sponsorship by BP but they can do nothing as they hand out headphones every day for the normal thing of people walking round a gallery to look at paintings..they won't know which is which.

Okay I'm posting this stuff here to point out to people..that people aren't mono cultural and one eyed..least I'm NOT.

Come on All Blacks.;-)

#16 Rod

Rod

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 41 posts
  • LocationNew Zealand

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:20 AM

Just popping in for a mo, for a couple of things:

1. Sorry about that, Effers, obviously read you a wrong.
- - - -

So recently it's been

Earthquake
Mining disaster
Oil spill
Rugby World Cup

It's good for people not to entirely associate NZ with disaster.

Yay! - and another thing. No1Son brought in the 2012 NZ Astronomical Yearbook and on p34 there's a headline:
"Kiwi Bid for Mega Telescope
The Square Kilometre Array [strange name-Rod] - a gigantic radio telescope capable of" ...

From a dish on Australia's West coast to three on it's East coast, one in Tasmania and (maybe) one that's in Warkworth
(that's Warkworth, Northlands, NZ - not Warkworth, Northumberland, UK).

An array some 5,000 kilometres span.

Must get to look it up & find out more

#17 kea

kea

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 446 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:56 AM

TVNZ have a programmer with a sense of humour. TV2 is showing Mission Impossible 3 against the RWC NZ/Aussie semifinal.

#18 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 07:32 AM

On in half an hour. Hope everyone here will be watching..These things can break down barriers and the bring the world closer together <snork>

Well I'm certainly looking forward to being beamed..if only for a short time, down to Eden Park, Auckland.

#19 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:49 AM

Half time. Brilliant match. Brilliant Haka..As that guy explained it's always a woman who decides about the Haka.

#20 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:43 AM

Awesome performance by All blacks. In every single department. Guys here in the studio, raving about it. Not a choke in sight..except from me when the final whistle blew..:))

It almost seemed to me as a cultural event to transcend it being Rugby. It's like its a wonderful thing for any country to think..'yes this is one thing we can say to the world, this is what we are the very best at in the world..and the whole world knows it'. It doesn't really matter what it is.but it can give massive self confidence to a nation. Also so many of the All Blacks aren't white..and they all got standing ovations from the crowd when they were substituted towards the end.

I found the whole thing very heart warming and moving.

I don't know how I'll cope if they don't win that World Cup now. But no force on earth can stop it I think..especially not the French ;-)

#21 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:59 PM

I can't find any sort of way to transfer my account. And I daren't whine about that or I'll have Mrs Zen on my case..mind you it would be nice to see her on SoRB's case..don't remember ever seeing that mind...teflon SoRB one could say.

But just one more multi post to say that it was truly wonderful to watch that match earlier..and that special Haka..and honour given to the guy leading it..because of his previous performances. I reckon that lovely guy..he was from Auckland..who was the offspring of 2 different Maori tribes..the Ngapuhi and theTuhoe..as he wrote it down for me..will be just so very very happy. I got some details written which say, Pohatu with a mobile number..I think that maybe him..I'll maybe try ringing him tomorrow. He's bound to have forgotten me. But I haven't him.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users