• This topic is locked This topic is locked
33 replies to this topic

#1 Mu Beta

Mu Beta

Must try harder

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:16 PM

It seems to me that we should be celebrating the release of the new site with the communal consumption of beer and a bad pub quiz. Might be an ideal opportunity to release some h2g2.com T-Shirts as well.

But, if we have one, can we PLEASE not have it in London? It's difficult to drive to, and accommodation costs a fortune. The only people it's convenient for are those from the home counties, and they all claim to hate going into The City. Plus there's no reason to have it there now we're not based at the BBC.

Birmingham? Oxford? York? Cardiff? Or does anyone have a better suggestion?

#2 TRiG

TRiG

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 01:21 PM

As long as it has a train station I'll get there. With Sail&Rail everywhere outside North Wales is the same price, so it makes no difference. Somewhere I have relatives and thus free accommodation would be nice, but not essential (London, Chatham, Brighton).

TRiG.
<p>DON'T PANIC. U612575.</p>

#3 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 15 October 2011 - 02:50 PM

Both Birmingham and Manchester are pretty central (for England, anyway) and easy to get to from anywhere with a train station or an airport.
U188069

#4 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

... so close I've got butterflies in my tummy

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

Brum's got an airport, and you'd hope it wasn't too far from London for the people who start fitting outside the M25.

The other question is when.

Could we fit it in in November, do you think?

The traditional month was January. If we went for the last weekend of January, then (1) people on monthly pay packets would have been paid, most likely, and (2) it would be a year since The Announcement and 11 since Rupert.
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#5 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:08 PM

(That is fitting, as in 'having fits' you understand).
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#6 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:11 PM

I could fit it in November and almost certainly not at the end of January, but I am but one person. :)
U188069

#7 K-B

K-B

Fidget

• H2G2
  • 40 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:12 PM

Can we have an Arctic Circle meet we can get to by dog sled? 'Twould be awesome.

:FR19: :FR19: :FR19: :FR19: :FR19: :FR19:

#8 Mu Beta

Mu Beta

Must try harder

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:53 PM

Last weekend of November is good. I'm booked up for the other three.

#9 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:01 PM

I could fit it in November and almost certainly not at the end of January, but I am but one person. :)

Well at the moment you are two. The problem, presumably, is that by the end of January you will in fact be one person!

#10 Rev Jackruss

Rev Jackruss

Makes friends easily

• Members
  • 432 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 04:16 PM

ok hows about Glasgow or Edinbrugh if /or Bristol or somewhere in norfork, is that a place well anyways you know want im on about

#11 Mu Beta

Mu Beta

Must try harder

• Members
  • 84 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

Not a ~Censored~ clue, actually

#12 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:51 PM

Birmingham gets my vote. Edinburgh would be lovely, but IMO is FAR too far to travel just for one evening, same with Bristol if you look at it the other way.
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#13 Beatrice

Beatrice

Fidget

• Members
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:52 PM

End of November's not good for me as I'm getting married - but that's only one vote. Sounds like a great idea, and I'd support an ex-London venue.

#14 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:34 PM

Invite us all to the reception. Problem solved. <run>
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#15 Sho

Sho

Must try harder

• Members
  • 82 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:49 PM

Düsseldorf?
<evilgrin>

#16 pal

pal

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

Nottingham

It is close to an airport and has got lots of pubs, including the oldest inn inn England. Besides I can get there for £3.50 return.

ps not many cockneys live there.

#17 HyperstarSponge

HyperstarSponge

Must try harder

• Members
  • 76 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:14 PM

Well for these that don't attend can we please have some pictures of it on here/H2G2 afterwards? :G11:

#18 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 10:47 PM

I think that The Hazel Pear in Acton Bridge would be ideally located for everyone.

#19 Alec Trician

Alec Trician

First Day

• Members
  • 12 posts
  • LocationBloody Florida

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:28 AM

erm...florida is er relatively nice at this time of year, and talk about central, we're practically on the fogging eeeequator.

we're expecting a little sunshine and sea breezes with maybe a little more sunshine from around er now till Zarquon makes it back.

Norfolk in november....hmmm

alec.

Edited by Alec Trician, 16 October 2011 - 01:32 AM.

#20 Magwitch

Magwitch

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:04 AM

Somewhere fairly fairly central would be good for me. End of November is also good.

Nottingham would be like walking back in time for me. Used to take the Trans Peak coach to there on a regular basis. Twas rather excellent. Posted Image
<p>&lt;br /&gt;</p>

#21 pal

pal

Bit quiet

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:31 PM

Buxton

Buxton

Buxton

OR

Derby

#22 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:09 PM

Heh.

Can't get a good curry in Buxton though. Seriously. I had the blandest, wimpiest, most pathetic curry in the world in Buxton. Fabulous flirty service, looked great, smelt fine, tasted of ...... nothing at all.

Nice opera house though.

#23 RadoxTheGreen

RadoxTheGreen

Needs to talk more

• H2G2
  • 130 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:58 PM

Obviously Bristol is good for me but I'm tempted to suggest Coventry, as that's where the Beeb put us pretty much the whole time they were running h2g2. It would be sort of symbolic for a NewHootoo meeting. Surprisingly easy to get to from Bristol/Bath too, head out of Bath on the old London Road and turn off left at Box to follow the Fosseway all the way to the end. Quicker than the motorway in fact.

If you wanted somewhere more Southerly, The Falcon at High Wycombe has some good food and drink. It's been a while since I've been there but there used to be a pub opposite that had a late night disco on Friday nights too. If it's still going, that might be a fun way to round off the evening, the atmosphere was quite good there.
If you want a good Curry, it has to be Dursley, near Gloucester. The. Best. Curry. EVER!

#24 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

I'm tempted to suggest Coventry, as that's where the Beeb put us pretty much the whole time they were running h2g2.

Heh heh heh

#25 Magwitch

Magwitch

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 728 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:06 PM

Bradford has the best curry houses, shame it's a dump <snigger>

Edited for after thought.

Buxton'd be cool, some lovely stone circles and henges round there.

Edited by Magwitch, 16 October 2011 - 09:08 PM.

<p>&lt;br /&gt;</p>

#26 TRiG

TRiG

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 19 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:52 PM

I really don't care as long as it has a train station. But I don't think I can get any more time off before the end of the year. The Irish Discworld Convention is in November. Thinking of going to London in January anyway to see Tim Minchin's Matilda. Could squeeze in a noohootoo meet while I'm there. And since I actually enjoy long train journeys ....

TRiG. :G11:
<p>DON'T PANIC. U612575.</p>

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users