24 replies to this topic

#1 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts
  • LocationPeckham, London, England

Posted 15 October 2011 - 03:43 PM

Can someone explain the meaning behind this and the reason and who posts it?

I suddenly notice 'Like This' next to a post.

So what?

On h2g2 a specific poster will post <applause> straight afterwards or with a quote.

You know *exactly* which bit they like and who likes it.

#2 Lea2975

Lea2975

linguist extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2884 posts
  • Chat Name:Lea2975
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 15 October 2011 - 05:21 PM

I use it usually to say that I agree with or like a point that has been made :)

You can make mistakes in life but it is how you deal with them that makes you a better person or a worse person.

#3 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:44 PM

You know exactly who likes a post here too, it sends you an email and I presume you can check it out onsite somewhere too,.
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#4 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 15 October 2011 - 06:52 PM

Same as a like button elsewhere on the internet - it allows you to agree with the post without having to disrupt the flow of conversation by saying "I agree with post x". You can take part in the conversation without feeling forced to argue (unless you want to, of course).

I quite like it, because it allows those who have something to add to the conversation can do so, but those who are interested enough to have an opinion can still do so without feeling like they're getting in the way.

Like everything else, it's a tool that some people can use and others don't have to. :)
U188069

#5 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:14 PM

I don't get it. I very very rarely like a whole post. Only a bit..which I'll quote and then add <applause> and probably actually explain *why* I like it.

On the few occasions it's a *whole* post I just post <applause> @ whoever.

I won't be using simplistic things like 'like' buttons.

#6 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

Sorry for multi posting ;-)

But I've seen posts here with 'Like' beside them..well who the hell did the liking? It's daft. I could set up a sock puppet..and go around 'liking' all my posts <snork>

But seriously if you have no idea who's done the liking...what does it mean?

#7 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

... so close I've got butterflies in my tummy

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 07:54 PM

It does say who liked them. Every post has a button, and the ones that have been liked say "liked by" - I just liked your last post to show you how it shows up on the page. (Sorry, not very articulate this evening)
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#8 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:19 PM

I'm not talking about the person who's been 'liked'..but others on a thread. I mean if I see 'liked' beside someone's post..I don't know if its brain of Britain liking their post or some half wit.

#9 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:22 PM

Look at post #4 in this thread. Next to the Like button on the bottom right hand side oh the post you can see that swl likes it.
<p style="text-align: center"><span style="font-family: comic sans ms, cursive"><em>U500175</em></span></p>

#10 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 08:29 PM

You know what..I suddenly realised that I only just started noticing 'Like this' and thought that was someone 'liking'...now I see 'like this' is everywhere.

Really it was my blindness...and getting the wrong end of the stick.

But I do stand by my points of preferring to give reasons why I like something..and quoting that bit.

But yes I'm getting a bit too extreme about all this stuff. It's just I do really care..and worry its just another symptom of dumbing down.

I'll just carry on doing it my way..and let others do it their way and not moan so much.

#11 Lea2975

Lea2975

linguist extraordinaire

• Members
  • 2884 posts
  • Chat Name:Lea2975
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:28 PM

It wouldn't do if everyone was the same :)

You can make mistakes in life but it is how you deal with them that makes you a better person or a worse person.

#12 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 15 October 2011 - 09:52 PM

No worries Effers. Noesis IS very different from h2g2, I've been here since May and here's stuff about it I only found out today.

#13 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:26 AM

Something strange about this place I noticed yesterday when I looked at a bit of Noesis territory..is that its pretty moribund..to put it politely. And I'm not talking about standard of interaction..but hardly any posting at all. And if you look at members..vast numbers are at 0 or 1 post. It isn't exactly sticky.

See we are the most alive thing they've had here in ages. So we must be doing something right without all this stats stuff and form filling for your ps. We are so alive and creative. We thought it was getting deathly on h2g2 with fewer and fewer people..but compared to this we are a shooting star shooting into ice.

We must NOT lose our soul with unnneccessary tinkering. There should be a place for people like me as well as people like you to feel at home. That's what's great the wide spectrum of types <snork> though that can cause problems ;-)

Incidently I've noticed that everyone on this area has H2G2 beneath their avatar, I have 'Members'. I think that means I'm pure bred Noesis <snork>

#14 Peanut

Peanut

Getting there

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:36 AM

Effers if there wasn't room on h2g2 for people like you, or for you actually, then it is not the place for me,
besides it would be far too bloody quiet otherwise

I think the forums are quite new, so in that respect 'quiet' maybe? I don't really know I don't go out much <grin>

#15 Peanut

Peanut

Getting there

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:38 AM

there should have been a <winkeye> smiley after the far too bloody quiet comment

editing is not for me <whistle>

#16 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:44 AM

I saw that <winkeye> anyway <winkeye>

#17 Peanut

Peanut

Getting there

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:50 AM

I'm glad you caught that <winkeye> <winkeye>,

#18 Peanut

Peanut

Getting there

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:11 AM

I know this offtopic but did you see about the fines for olympic streaking £20,000 *gasp*

there is something wickedly cultural about a good streak don't you reckon,I wonder if there is a lesser fine for just giving your ARSE an airing...

#19 Peanut

Peanut

Getting there

• Members
  • 190 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:12 AM

damn it <moon> smiley

#20 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 02:08 AM

I looked it up and it's a good thing. Only streakers with a brand logo will be fined in that way.

'..Streakers bearing advertising slogans could find themselves fined up to £20,000..'

But not joe and josy average.

'..Unbranded streaking is apparently not covered by the London Olympic Games and Paralympic Games Act 2006.'

http://londonist.com/2011/10/olympics-organisers-have-branded-streakers-covered.php

It's a big tradition here..so I reckon there'll be at least one or two.

But I won't be doing it <snork> and miss out after all the fuss to get the tickets..and possible contributary factor in going high earlier this year.

#21 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 16 October 2011 - 08:59 AM

Effers - those who are volunteers and have volunteer access to other parts of the forum (e.g. the ACEs) have h2g2 below their name. Those who aren't volunteers are 'Members' because S2G2 is an open bit of the forum.

Us volunteers are just a bit talkative, that's all. ;) And we've been here a bit longer so probably feel a bit more comfortable jumping into a thread.
U188069

#22 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 10:09 AM

Cheers Vip..I found it quite funny though.

I feel a bit bad now not being a volunteer. But I do try to do my bit..in other ways..mysterious ways :)))

#23 Effers

Effers

Needs to talk more

• Members
  • 110 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:35 AM

And hey Vip, don't worry too much about the name change thing. If we can do suffixes, I've got that sorted. Obviously I hope at some point the name change will be possible. But you've got enough on your plate.

This is what I'll go for:-

Heavy Sleeting - Effers - first two words to be put on ignore.

#24 Mr. Dreadful

Mr. Dreadful

Makes friends easily

• H2G2
  • 706 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 11:36 AM

in other ways..mysterious ways :)))

Are... are you Nighthoover? <zen>
Vila: I'm entitled to my opinion.
Avon: It is your assumption that we are entitled to it as well that is irritating.
U651852

#25 Mrs Zen

Mrs Zen

• H2G2
  • 1428 posts
  • LocationEdinburgh

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:48 PM

Lattice play

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users