• This topic is locked This topic is locked
30 replies to this topic

#1 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:07 PM

Thought about restarting the QI society while we are in exile, with this little nugget.

Points system:
+1 Decreasing General Ignorance bonus.
+2 Elf Bonus
+3 Correct Answer
+6 Quite Interesting Bonus
-5 Klaxon

QI - A bit specious....
"Specious" as we commonly invoke the term means something superficially plausible, but actually wrong, a thing deceptive which can appear misleadingly attractive.
All of which might be said to apply to many of the answers which may or may not spring nimbly to mind in answer to this quiet interesting query.

"Amongst mammals, which groups are the most 'speci-ous' as in containing the most number of differently identifiable species?"

There are klaxons, of course, so be bold, preferably interesting but never obvious.
Good luck.

#2 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:15 PM

Clive! I'd been thinking of doing a QI in exile. Had an introductory spiel written for those who'd never encountered it and everything. Well, everything except a question. And then it got close to us moving out of exile, so I gave up.

Anyhoo, I'll barge into the first klaxon with..... Marsupials.

#3 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:24 PM

I had a flash of inspiration and acted.
Marsupials is a bit too high level, one could say eukaryotes and by definition it'd include the right answer 'cos of taxonomic hierarchy.
What I'm after is a set of species names (ranked 1 - 3 ) , so if it were a fish I were after, then I'd accept answers like "cod" , and no need for any binomial classification either, common names will do.
And nobody better dare google!

#4 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

By the way, feel free to post ' the spiel' below' can't hurt to have it now.

#5 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:38 PM

It's still only hand-written. I'll have a bash at typing it up.

I'm not entirely sure what level I'm aiming at for this answer. Would "Bear" be the sort of thing?

#6 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Much better.
"Bears?" Posted Image

Klaxon -5
P.S How d'yget smileys in this place?*

*spams the edit button post hoc Mwu-hahaha..

#7 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:48 PM

Here, have one of these: Posted Image

#8 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:51 PM

Yeah  - how?!

#9 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:53 PM

Well you've given me enough of those in the past Clive. I've got a stack of em here.

(http://www.bbc.co.uk/dna/hub/Smiley)

#10 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:56 PM

< bluelight >

< bluelight/ >

< /bluelight >

#11 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 15 October 2011 - 11:58 PM

Clearly I'm missing a trick here... :-/

#12 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:07 AM

Rightclick on any image (bluelight isn't there, we'll deal with that), select "Copy Image Address" or however your browser words it. Now in this typing box choose the "Image" button from the ribbon of formatting options. Paste the URL into the appropriate place. Change the name of the image in the URL to bluelight.

#13 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:14 AM

My introductory spiel for QI:

For those who haven’t come across it before, QI is a game played on h2g2. It is inspired by and roughly based on the BBC programme of the same name.

The basic premise is very simple: someone asks a question, and everyone else tries to answer it. What could be easier?

There is one very important rule. You do not Google. You’ve got to rely on memory, scraps of knowledge, half-baked guesses and flamboyant brainstorms.

The Question: should relate to a bizarre or arcane (and interesting) fact that the questioner knows about or has stumbled across. The question should be posited in such a way that everyone reading it scratches their head and says Hmmm. Preferably all at the same time. It should be a puzzle box that requires careful unpicking.

The Answer: If the question is a good one, it should be impossible for the first reply to answer it completely. The idea is that the answer (or answers) is gradually spiralled in on by the combined efforts of everyone taking part.

Scoring: The fun thing about QI is that it involves points. There are five different ways of scoring:

Correct +3. If you get the right answer - 3 points. A complex question might have several nested layers of right answers. +3 each time.

DGI +1. That means Decreasing General Ignorance. If your post is not a +3 winner, but is in the right area, or points towards the right answer, then it deserves a point, at the discretion of the questioner.

QI +6. Now this is an odd one. Also at the discretion of the questioner. If you come up with some info that is not the answer to the question (but is inspired by the question), but which makes the questioner go WOW, then you get six points. Note that this is twice what you get for a correct answer. Interesting is better than right.

The fourth way of scoring is the counterpart of Interesting is better than right: Obvious is worse than wrong

Klaxon. -5 points Posted Image

These should not be arbitrary. The questioner should decide in advance on answers that are just too obvious (and wrong), and which set off the alarms. A klaxon can be very useful for other players by showing a route to avoid.

The final scoring option is QI Elf +2: the questioner gets two points for his hard work.

#14 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:20 AM

Hd Posted Image -5

It works.

Also we have discovered the reason: the wossname, ribbon doesn't appear in firefox. Which is a pity as that's where I have all my bookmarks. Posted Image

#15 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 12:29 AM

:G11:
Unfortunately, it is past my bedtime. I'll leave with a cry of "Moles!" and bid you goodnight.

#16 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 05:54 AM

It's not moles.

#17 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:22 AM

QI +6. Now this is an odd one. Also at the discretion of the questioner. If you come up with some info that is not the answer to the question (but is inspired by the question), but which makes the questioner go WOW, then you get six points. Note that this is twice what you get for a correct answer. Interesting is better than right.

The example I often think of from the show of a classic QI moment was a question about amusing misunderstandings of labels and named products in foreign countries which inspired Gyles Brandreth to wield a five minute monologue identifying the photo of the baby on the bottle of baby food as one a set of twins and a detailed genealogy on the history of the family - The Gerber's if I recall correctly - including present and resent occupations.Nothing whatsoever to do with the right answer but inspired, erudite - and the litmus test - quite interesting.

6 shiny golden points to be won if you can match that!

#18 Vip

Vip

Top of the class

• Members
  • 1728 posts
  • LocationGMT

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:31 AM

I certainly can't match that for klaxon-age.

I would assume that it's something man-made; we do seem to like our pets to be as differently coloured and shaped as we can get. So that's my answer: dogs. Only if I can't have pets as an answer (which I rather assume I can't).

*winces and waits for the klaxon*
U188069

#19 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 09:53 AM

You were thinking of breeds, predictably. Posted Image

" Dogs" Posted Image -5

#20 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:28 PM

Are we looking just for extant species?

#21 The Thinker

The Thinker

Settling in well

• Members
  • 265 posts
  • LocationSouth Ockendon, Essex

Posted 16 October 2011 - 01:45 PM

Squirrels as there are 250 types of squirrels worldwide.
Geplaatste afbeelding

H2g2 U198984 The Thinker - This is where I go every Friday on the North Stifford Healthy Living Walk through Davy Down riverside park

#22 Dr Anthea

Dr Anthea

Settling in well

• H2G2
  • 333 posts
  • LocationNear Blackpool

Posted 16 October 2011 - 03:54 PM

I am going to go with Bats,
there must be hundereds of different types of bats...
there are almost twenty species of bat in the uk alone and we're quite a small island

Dr Anthea - U203430

#23 hygienicdispenser

hygienicdispenser

Must try harder

• Members
  • 85 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:19 PM

There are also an awful lot of lemurs, cosidering they live in such a relatively small space. :G8:

#24 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

Are we looking just for extant species?

Yes.

#25 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:32 PM

Have a DGI +1 for Squirrels.

#26 Clive the Flying Ostrich

Clive the Flying Ostrich

Bit quiet

• H2G2
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 October 2011 - 04:34 PM

I am going to go with Bats,
there must be hundereds of different types of bats...
there are almost twenty species of bat in the uk alone and we're quite a small island

Bats hold the number #2 spot on the list, well done! + 3

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users