2 replies to this topic

#1 Shadow_X

Shadow_X

It's just me!

• Forum Admin
  • 2132 posts
  • Chat Name:Shadow_X

Posted 09 December 2012 - 01:34 PM

British astronomer and broadcaster Sir Patrick Moore has died at his home at the age of 89, his friends and staff have confirmed.

In a statement, the group announced Sir Patrick had ‘passed away peacefully at 12:25pm this afternoon’ at his home in Selsey, West Sussex.

It added: ‘After a short spell in hospital last week, it was determined that no further treatment would benefit him, and it was his wish to spend his last days in his own home, Farthings, where he today passed on, in the company of close friends and carers and his cat Ptolemy.’

Moore famously presented the BBC’s astronomy programme The Sky At Night for over 50 years, making him the longest-running host of the same show ever.

He was the author of over 70 books on astronomy as well as numerous works of fiction.

He received many honours throughout his illustrious career and was appointed an OBE in 1968, before becoming a CBE in 1988 and eventually receiving a knighthood in 2012 for ‘services to the popularisation of science and to broadcasting’.

Sir Patrick never married or had children.

Posted Image
Posted Image

1st Navigator UK Chat

Designed to annoy P.Sgt.Levers

#2 xXPoohXx

xXPoohXx

Teachers pet

• Forum Admin
  • 2978 posts
  • LocationSomerset

Posted 09 December 2012 - 02:42 PM

The biggest shame was that he never had children - all those brainy genes not being passed on :(

I guess I'm getting to the age now whereby the guys I grew up watching are going to start passing away... this was a very very interesting man.. even for those not totally into astronomy like me.

Geplaatste afbeelding
Noesis Forum Admin - Staff
Chat Navigator (Noesis UK)
Email me

#3 TigerBear

TigerBear

Makes friends easily

• Noesis
  • 751 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 02:36 PM

The biggest shame was that he never had children - all those brainy genes not being passed on :(

I guess I'm getting to the age now whereby the guys I grew up watching are going to start passing away... this was a very very interesting man.. even for those not totally into astronomy like me.

Agreed. We are all getting to that age - argh!

Aly

master-tigerbear.png

Lycos Chat Owner

Before you criticise someone walk a mile in their shoes.

That way, when you do criticise them, you're a mile away.... and you have their shoes!

Always have fun guys!

4lpteo.jpg

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users