#1 Luperza

Luperza

First Day

• Members
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWest Yorkshire

Posted 06 March 2014 - 06:12 PM

POPULAR

BBC Three is planned to be dropped from TV schedules and will move online, as part of the BBC's cost-cutting plans to cut 100 million with the channel being the half of that topping up 50 million of savings. BBC Three is the channel that given us some original programming such as the early Little Britain, Bad Education and one of my favorites Russell Howard's Good News. BBC Three has always been the easy target. Right from its creation, the channel came in for criticism, whether it was people turning noses up at Snog, Marry, Avoid or middle class, middle-aged mutters about where the licence fee was going.

So as the news broke recently that the channel is being axed as a regular, broadcast channel and moving solely online, I wasn't surprised. The station has produced high quality drama, comedy and entertainment. Sure, it picks up higher ratings than some of the other BBC brands. Sure, it's pretty much the only BBC channel aimed at young people. But, well, it's always been an easy target. The fact is, those officials and politicians and big bosses deciding the future of the BBC aren't in BBC Three's target audience. As a rule, they're not the sort of people who want to tune in for In The Flesh or Being Human. They have no investment in the channel. They're not bothered about saying goodbye.

Over the years, we've had quality, risky, award-winning dramas: In The Flesh, The Fades, Being Human. There's been hugely popular, and sometimes hugely risky, comedies such as Him & Her, Gavin & Stacey, Little Britain, Bad Education, Nighty Night, The Mighty Boosh. Already, comedians and actors some who started out on the channel are jumping to the channel's defence, pointing out how BBC Three is a wonderful nurturing ground for talent who later make it big. Where are we going to cultivate the stars of tomorrow if not on a broadcaster like BBC Three? Sometimes I wonder if people have forgotten the purpose of the BBC, the public service broadcaster, tasked with, funnily enough, providing a service to the public. All of the public.

Sorry for the little rant, what is people's view about this?

Luperza_zpsc35dbc6a.png

UK Chatter | Casual Gamer | @Kaiyrex

Forum Guidelines | Lycos UK | Knowledge Base | Report Fakes

#2 ArcAngel2uk2005

ArcAngel2uk2005

Fidget

• Members
  • 53 posts
  • LocationWest Midlands

Posted 12 March 2014 - 11:55 PM

Why BBC3 and not BBC4 I mean has anyone ever watched anything on BBC4?

I know I've watched plenty of stuff on BBC3! but cant say Ive ever switched over to BBC4.

I remember having a discussion a while ago as well with someone who suggested why not put BBC3 & CBBC on the same channel band as CBBC finishes at 7pm just as BBC3 would start for the day.

Surely not paying for the channel band would save them money or is that too simplistic

Posted Image

Arc The Herald Angel Sings......

#3 Saintslover2002

Saintslover2002

Arisen

• Members
  • 132 posts

Posted 25 March 2014 - 12:58 AM

I think I have only ever actively watched a couple of programmes on BBC 3 and one of them was Being Human ... can't even remember the other one ... BBC has gotten too big for their boots, and as mentioned above - it's repeat city! 

I have no idea why we have to pay a TV License to watch this rubbish, in my honest opinion they should get rid of BBC 2, 3 & 4  there's nothing that holds my interest of any of them any more. 

Posted Image

Here to Help! Welcome to Noesify!

#4 Kennethpn

Kennethpn

First Day

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Chat Name:Viper

Posted 10 June 2015 - 07:36 AM

Excellent news, Stanley. I'd assumed we were due a much longer wait for a television broadcast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users